View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This play has provided Mark, Jr., and I with hours and hours of conversation as we have traveled to games together.

I am in the vet's office (my family thought they were going to have to put me down, LOL!) with our dog.

I do not have access to my Rules Books but over the years the three Rules Committee has rewritten the rule from a simple rule to apply: If B1 violates first followed by a violation by A2, we had Jump Ball (AP Arrow today); very simple and elegant. Now we have multiple scenarios in which one needs to be at least a Structural Engineer (like me) or a Mechanical Engineering student (like Junior) to decipher the rule.

I base my Ruling of going to the AP Arrow based upon the history of the Rule, making the AP Arrow the only logical choice.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
I would go with a double violation penalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I’d be more inclined to treat in order of ocuurance. The delayed dead ball from B doesn’t cause the ball to become dead immediately. The violation from A does make the ball dead immediately. I’d give ball to B and move on....

Kelvin:

As noted earlier, as the three Rules Committees made this Rule more complicated, but trying to codify every possible scenario, the Committees forgot to include the Play we are discussing. Until the Committees either add this scenario to the Rules and assign a Penalty to it or the Committees could do the logical thing and turn the clock back 45 years or so and make the Rule simple (see the red highlighted sentence in my above comment) again: Which is the Ruling that Bob and I think would be the logical Ruling (great minds think alike).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio