Thread: Moving Screen
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 10:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fouls (Rule 10), Violations (Rule 9) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umonblue View Post
So the final confirmed answer to my original question that turned into several other questions is that a Moving/Illegal Screen without contact can never be called just a VIOLATION....YES?
When coaches, fans, etc., yell, "Moving screen" (a phrase never used by officials), they usually want a foul (not a violation) called, even though there may not be illegal contact. All fouls, with the exception of technical fouls, involve illegal contact.

Violations are noncontact illegalities: traveling, illegal dribble, out of bounds, three seconds, backcourt, ten seconds, five seconds, basketball interference, goaltending, free throw violations, etc.

What you should probably be asking is can a moving screen without contact ever be called a foul? Or, maybe you really are asking if a moving screen without contact can ever be called a violation?

No, and no.

Personal fouls, like an illegal screen, always involve illegal contact (an illegal screen is often a blocking foul, and a team control foul (no free throws)).

And a moving screen, with or without contact, illegal, or otherwise, can never be called a violation, it's not even mentioned in Rule 9 VIOLATIONS (see partial list of noncontact illegalities above, travel, etc.).

Screen with legal contact (even with severe legal contact)? Nothing.

Screen with illegal contact? Foul.

Screen with no contact? Nothing.

A violation never even comes into the picture, it's a non sequitur.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 01:00pm.