View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 07, 2018, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrucks1 View Post
This happened to me during a game and my partner granted a team a TO when a player had clearly lost the ball. So my question is do you need player control or team control to grant a TO. I was under the assumption of player control because it would be a disadvantage to the defense if granted with team control. Example team A has control. Player A1 has the ball and loses control of the ball. Coach calls TO. In the NFHS rules team control is not lost until B gains possession of the ball. So in essence anytime team A loses the ball then Team A can call TO before team B possesses because they have team control.

Is this correct? I have been an official for 25 years and I have always granted TO's with player control am I correct or is it based on team control?
Rule 5. SEC. 8 ART. 3 . . . Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:

a. The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.

b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a playerdirected to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is
available and required.

Last edited by nolanjj68; Wed Feb 07, 2018 at 01:00pm.