View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2018, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Frezer11:

I have officiated for 47 years now, and I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) had this situation happen in any of my games nor I have ever thought of that situation.

NFHS R8-S3:
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free *thrower(s).

NCAA Men's R8-S3-A4:
Technical fouls—The free throws awarded because of any technical foul may be attempted by any player or eligible team member on the offended team, who shall be designated by the head coach or captain of the offended team. However, the same player shall shoot both free throws.

NCAA Women's R8-S3-A3:
Technical, unsportsmanlike and disqualifying fouls—The free throws awarded because of any technical, unsportsmanlike or disqualifying foul may be attempted by any player or eligible team member on the offended team, who shall be designated by the head coach or captain of the offended team. However, the same player shall attempt both free throws.

I think that how we define an eligible substitute or eligible team member would determine whether your interpretation is correct or not, AND I am NOT saying it is not correct.

A case in point is who can attempt TF FTs for TFs committed before the Jump Ball to start the game. Several years ago the NFHS issued a Casebook Play allowing a non-starter to attempt the FTs. I am not surprised at that ruling because the late Dick Schindler had expressed his opinion many many years earlier that for all intents and purposes, when a TF has been committed before the Jump Ball to start the game, the TF is in reality, the start of the game, and therefore anyone including an eligible substitute can attempt the TF FTs.

You situation is a new spin on what is an eligible substitute? Does eligible mean a substitute that has not been Disqualified or does it mean any non-Disqualified substitute that, per Rule, can re-enter that game at that moment?

Dick Schindler and later the NFHS Casebook Play took a very expansive definition of eligible, taking the position that any means just that: ANY! As long as they are not Disqualified.

For those who are wondering, I am inclined to apply the NFHS expansive position from its pre-game Casebook Play and allow a player who has just been removed from the game via substitution to return to attempt the FTs. Just my two cents.

Let the debate begin.

MTD, Sr.
NFHS case 8.2 Sit A: (2 separate shooters for TF FT's is legal)

NFHS case 8.3 Sit: (gotta sit a tick)