View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: Is this Mike's influence?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
You guys make statements of disbelief...

The current rules, today, of Softball and of Baseball are quite similar to each other.

Many of us officiate both sports and that likely has to do with the fact that the rules for both games are very similar.

To be discussing similar topics in both the Softball and Baseball forums is surely not unbelievable!
I BEG YOUR PARDON!!!!

While there are many similarities, there are also many differences. Many of the umpires I know who work both games often misinterpret the softball rule because they think if it is the baseball rule, it must apply to all types of ball games. So much so, they often skip the softball clinics as they believe since they do baseball, they've got it all down and they have nothing to gain by going to a softball clinic. Problem is with this belief is that it just isn't so.

The rules are different enough just between the sanctioning bodies, let alone different games.

Sometimes, they are almost as difficult to deal with as the player who thinks what they saw on TV applies to all types of ball games

Besides, SP softball came first, so why would I even consider applying baseball rules to the original?