Thread: What do YOU do?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the problem the way I see it, that coaches and players really do not seem to understand their role in high school sports. They seem to think the behavior that happens in the pro ranks is acceptable.
THIS! Nail on the head! Good Post JRutledge. I would ask why you don't like Ts...It's a tool at our disposal and sometimes the only tool that works on some knuckleheads.

Being a guy that coaches youth teams (This year I have 5th grade boys travel) and one who officiates, I like to think I have a keen understanding of both sides. Most guys at the lower levels do not know their role. That's not to say there are not some really good coaches out there but if you are focused on the ref more than your kids...you're doing it all wrong! I rarely say anything to the refs unless its guys/gals I have called games with and it's all in fun

I had a middle school coach last week who I admit, I probably let speak too long before I dropped my first (of this year) Official Warning on him. As SOON as I turned to go back to position, he says "Then call the game right" so I T'd him immediately.

After the FTs he's still standing in the box and I inform him he will need to sit down and he says "Who are you talking to?" I informed him again he has lost the coaching box and would have to sit...he replies with "You can't make me sit"...I simply told him if he didn't know or understand the rule it was not my issue and I asked him one more time to have a seat to which he had some more comments and thus he watched the rest of the game from the locker room.

I don't get why a Coach doesn't take into consideration that he is representing their school/community/players/parents and their on display for all to see.