View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
It seems to me that letting players grasp/hang on the rim is part of what caused this problem. There used to be an expectation that on a dunk the player didn't grab and pull the rim. That softened over time so that grabbing with some pull is the norm. Once players hold it, the kind of face plant becomes more likely.

While part of me (I'm not sure if its the "get off my lawn!" part or the "I could never dunk very well anyhow" part) wants to say that we could solve this better by going back in time and saying just don't grab the rim at all, the part of me that lives in the real world comes to terms with needing to be more accepting of letting them hang longer so that they land instead of face plant. (I can't get that video out of my head and never want to see one like that again.)
You make a fair point.

But I think the cat is out of the bag in terms of not allowing any grab or pull on the rim. I'm fine with things as is and am just going to continue to err on the side of letting them hang momentarily to protect themselves and issue Ts when its unwarranted and excessive.

If we want to change rules to address safety on plays attacking the basket I'd be more interested in adding a RA at the HS level. But that's a discussion for another day.