View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

The one thing I hear from officials that makes me cringe

When I read posts and fellow officials say "I am not going to..." I wonder about that official. Example-- "I am not going to ask a coach twice about whether its a 30 or 60" I am just curious-- are you doing something at that moment that is more important? A milliion things are going on in a coach's mind at a point in the game when he or she needs a timeout-- and him not communicating perfectly with you is not something to get in a power struggle over. I see controlling the flow of a game is #3 on (my) list of priorities (#1 keeping game safe, #2 preventing one team from gaining unfair advantage). Why not be the kind of official that works hard to keep game flowing smoothly, and putting forth a little effort to communicate with a coach can help greatly with that. Why do you have to be "that official" that thinks it's polemic situation-- "my way or the highway" attitude. Note, this post does not deal with any rule issues, as there is never a good excuse for ignoring the rules-- it's about being a LEADER on the floor rather than a DICTATOR, and often choosing to be "smart and effective" rather than "proving you are the boss"

Let the flames begin--