View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Has their been a case play on this before? It seems familiar, but maybe it's been discussed here before.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering what the justification is for not counting the basket? I understand not being able to add time without knowledge, but why is the shooter not allowed continuous motion in this instance?

There is the rule stating that whether the clock is running or is stopped has no influence on the counting of a goal. And you know that the foul occurred prior to the expiration of time (whistle was before the horn). What is the rules/case reference to treat this different than the usual determination of whether or not the player had begun the trying or tapping movement?

Edit:
"A live-ball foul by the offense (team in control or last in control if the ball is loose), or the expiration of time for a quarter or extra period, causes the ball to become dead immediately, unless the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal. The ball also becomes dead when a player-control foul occurs."

I'm guessing this is the rules justification, but if you know the foul occurred prior to the expiration of time, then I think you have a strong argument that this doesn't apply.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Tue Jan 02, 2018 at 10:19am.