View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Back in the dark ages when I was coaching a "B" squad team (Sophomores) I had two players with the same number. One was a 6'3" Caucasian (1st string) and the other was a 5'9' African American (3rd string), I always talked to the other coach and the officials to get their ok and assured them that they would never be on the court at the same time. I always wanted each player to start at least one game so I decide to start my third string in one of the final games of the year. The other team (whose coach signed off on the two #32's when we met with the officials) is ahead by about 8-10 points in the second quarter when I decide to put my starter's in the game. The other coach immediately tells the officials that my #32 can't play because of the duplicate number and that my team should be given a "T". The officials say "Coach we went over this before the game and you gave it your ok". Coach says that there is no authority to set aside a rule. The officials look at me and I tell them that its ok to give us a "T" and that my starter who wears #32 won't play. I was a little upset with the other coach. Long story short, we end up winning by about 30 points and after the game the other coach won't look at me or shake my hand.