View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

When working with less experienced partners I will sometimes pre-game that when we stick a coach, everyone should get away from him. If a coach asks to speak with you after we've issued him a direct T, "not right now, Coach."

I'd heard others advise this but didnt really subscribe to it until experiencing several different negative situations resulting from engaging coaches after our partners stick them.

The good cop/bad cop perception can be an issue. For partners and the other coach.

I've also seen 2nd Ts issued rather quickly when engaging a coach that IMO should have been left alone. One time in particular it looked really bad on tape because you have a T issued, then another official having a back and forth during the FTs that escalated and the coach is now tossed. Ultimately the coach's fault but the assigner said the crew should not have been engaging the coach at that time. Give him a second to cool off, then the 2nd T becomes obvious b/c the coach will be yelling at a distance not side by side.

I just don't see any upside to doing this while there is the potential for real negatives. There is no need to calm the coach down. That's what the T is for. If they can't calm themselves down then we can issue a 2nd.

HS coaches also know the seatbelt rule so there is no need to remind them at that moment.

If a coach's behavior has gotten to a point that we've issued a T then he's lost the privilege of not just the coaching box, but also the privilege of engaging the crew within reason.

So while a lot, perhaps even most, officials could handle a convo with a coach whose just been stuck again I just don't see the upside and have seen it go south in multiple ways.