View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 01, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wpiced
GARTHB,

I think you are a black-letter-law man. Do you agree that a pitcher, in the stretch position, can not "make any motion naturally associated with his pitch..."

Or, would you say that the pitcher does not pitch from the stretch and therefore any movement from that position does not violate 8.05(a).

I have seen it both ways. The pitcher must be on the rubber(touching)to get a sign from F2, and that suggests that F1 can not turn his body from the stretch to get a look an the runner(s).

What say you?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, hee hee hee, giggle, snort, stop, you're killing me. Black letter of the law? AHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I've gotta print this out and take to the next meeting. Oh, yeah. You've made my day.

Let me calm down here....man, that was good. First, snicker, giggle, let me ask you something. Dave Hensley and I gave the same answer to the question and you single me out. Was it my rugged good looks, Or pehaps my vast wealth from my holdings in KMart futures, Enron warrants and Canadian currency?

While I enjoy getting to the meat of the issue, debating intent and even parsing words at times at rules session or here on the boards, on the field, I still follow my mentors advice from 30 years ago, "Be in the right place at the right time and make the call that is appropriate to the game." Does that sound like a black letter of the law umpire to you?

Example: R1 stealing second. F2's throw beats him by four steps. The glove gets down as he begins his slide. He slides into the glove, but visible only to the umpire, his right hand goes behind the glove and "safely" touches the bag a micro-second before his left hand touches the glove. Your call? Mine? He's out.

Now then to your question. Could you write it a bit more clear? It is confusing:

"Or, would you say that the pitcher does not pitch from the stretch and therefore any movement from that position does not violate 8.05(a)."

Huh?

"The pitcher must be on the rubber(touching)to get a sign from F2, and that suggests that F1 can not turn his body from the stretch to get a look an the runner(s)."

Is this a statement or question? If it is a statement, I don't agree. I don't see that suggestion anywhere.

If it is a question, then the answer is 2Xsquared times the cosine of angle t.

[Edited by GarthB on Sep 1st, 2003 at 10:22 PM]