View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
The referee called it a Technical foul, ART. 4 Illegally contact the backboard/ring by: b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
To play the devil's advocate, the word highlighted is "or", so let's separate that clause, as one is allowed to do when dealing with "or":

A player shall not: Illegally contact the backboard/ring by: ... causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

This, in essence, takes intent out of the equation.

Could this be why he rationalized calling it a technical foul after looking it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
... the referee approached me after halftime to tell me that they looked the rule up at half and that he got it right.
Of course, he would have to ignore the casebook play, and the Point of Emphasis:

10.3.4 SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block
the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket;
or (b) B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does
not enter the basket. RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts; and (b) a technical
foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket. COMMENT: The purpose of the
rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is
involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who
strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt
to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed
a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6.

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 03:20pm.