View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
My thoughts in bold.

Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. Schools utilizing large video boards with bright flashing lights to encourage excitement in the crowd during competition?
Yes, never been an issue to any teams.

2. Teams wearing like-colored bottoms with different color waistbands.
I have no idea. I'm not looking at waistbands.

3. Awkward or clumsy officials’ mechanics with the administration of the card(s) for unnecessary delay.
Yep.

4. Teams using electronic scorebooks as the official scorebook for the match.
Never in high school. Rarely in women's college. Quite a bit in men's college and USAV Adult Open.

5. Competitors wearing skid protectors or other hand padding, creating a competitive advantage by reducing spin when used as point of contact during play.
I've never once considered that it might offer any kind of advantage. After seeing this question...I have the same opinion. Weird question.

About the rules for 2018-19, would you favor…

1. Establishing specific size limitations for school name, mascot, and/or player’s name placed on the body of the solid-colored uniform top.
Don't care.

2. Restricting allowable uniform digits to be no higher than five to make it easier for officials to signal.
Don't care.

3. Eliminating the use of rosters
Goodness yes, PLEASE!

4. Modifying the penalty for late submission of a lineup to an unnecessary delay rather than loss of rally/point.
Yes. It's a delay. Let's treat it like a delay.

5. Modifying the National Anthem protocol to allow the second referee and one line judge to stand of the officials’ table side of the court to help facilitate pre-match procedures.
Don't care.

6. Requiring the second referee to transition to the side of the offending team on all calls by the first referee.
"Requiring?" No thanks. "Recommending is fine.

7. Restricting contact with the center line by any part of the body.
Nope, that's a slippery slope.

8. Allowing the encroachment into the opponent’s court with any part of the body if one part of the body is in contact or over the center line, provided there is no interference with opponents.
I like the rule, but it's going to take a lot of training to make sure people get this right.

9. Modifying the rule for net play to permit contact with the net or antenna by a player unless the contact is made during the action of playing a ball or it interferes with play.
Much like #8, like the rule, but it's going to take a lot of training to make sure people get this right.

10. Allowing the libero/replacement to enter the court from the baseline.
No way.

11. Allowing multiple contacts on a team’s second contact in addition to first contact as long as the contact does not result in the ball crossing the plane of the net.
I'll be the oddball on this one, but I'd be *totally* ok with this. It'll never happen, though, but it would sure make ball handling a LOT easier.

12. Eliminating the re-serve.
Only if #13 gets adopted along with it.

13. Increasing the allowable time to make contact on a serve from five to eight seconds.
Only if #12 gets adopted along with it.

14. Allowing head coaches to request a decision review only if they have time-outs available.
Don't care. Not sure I've ever had a decision review in a high school match.

15. Removing the penalty (unnecessary delay for requesting a time-out in a set after a team has taken its allotted time-outs unless it is recognized by the second referee with a whistle.
Yes, but then you might have to adopt an improper request sanction as well.

16. Broadening the penalty requiring head coaches to remain seated for the remainder of the match to include an unsporting conduct issued to any player on the court.
No, too much of a penalty.

17. Adding a penalty to a team/coach for unsporting conduct by a spectator.
Maybe eventually, but not right off the bat.

18. Allowing nonplaying team members to stand at the end of the bench during play.
Yes, yes, yes, oh goodness please, yes.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee