The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

2017-18 nfhs volleyball questionnaire

2017-18 NFHS QUESTIONNAIRE

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-...uestionnaires/

Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. Schools utilizing large video boards with bright flashing lights to encourage excitement in the crowd during competition?
Never/rarely/frequently/almost always

2. Teams wearing like-colored bottoms with different color waistbands.

3. Awkward or clumsy officials’ mechanics with the administration of the card(s) for unnecessary delay.

4. Teams using electronic scorebooks as the official scorebook for the match.

5. Competitors wearing skid protectors or other hand padding, creating a competitive advantage by reducing spin when used as point of contact during play.

About the rules for 2018-19, would you favor…

1. Establishing specific size limitations for school name, mascot, and/or player’s name placed on the body of the solid-colored uniform top.
Yes/No

2. Restricting allowable uniform digits to be no higher than five to make it easier for officials to signal.
Yes/No

3. Eliminating the use of rosters
Yes/No

4. Modifying the penalty for late submission of a lineup to an unnecessary delay rather than loss of rally/point.
Yes/No

5. Modifying the National Anthem protocol to allow the second referee and one line judge to stand of the officials’ table side of the court to help facilitate pre-match procedures.
Yes/No

6. Requiring the second referee to transition to the side of the offending team on all calls by the first referee.
Yes/No

7. Restricting contact with the center line by any part of the body.
Yes/No

8. Allowing the encroachment into the opponent’s court with any part of the body if one part of the body is in contact or over the center line, provided there is no interference with opponents.
Yes/No

9. Modifying the rule for net play to permit contact with the net or antenna by a player unless the contact is made during the action of playing a ball or it interferes with play.
Yes/No

10. Allowing the libero/replacement to enter the court from the baseline.
Yes/No

11. Allowing multiple contacts on a team’s second contact in addition to first contact as long as the contact does not result in the ball crossing the plane of the net.
Yes/No

12. Eliminating the re-serve.
Yes/No

13. Increasing the allowable time to make contact on a serve from five to eight seconds.
Yes/No

14. Allowing head coaches to request a decision review only if they have time-outs available.
Yes/No

15. Removing the penalty (unnecessary delay for requesting a time-out in a set after a team has taken its allotted time-outs unless it is recognized by the second referee with a whistle.
Yes/No

16. Broadening the penalty requiring head coaches to remain seated for the remainder of the match to include an unsporting conduct issued to any player on the court.
Yes/No

17. Adding a penalty to a team/coach for unsporting conduct by a spectator.
Yes/No

18. Allowing nonplaying team members to stand at the end of the bench during play.
Yes/No
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
I think it would be good for people to maybe post here any thoughts they have, and why they have them.

I have opinions on quite a few of these, and am apathetic to several more. Anyone have any specific ideas/thoughts?
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Here are some of my thoughts for the discussion Felix suggests...

Yes please... Over 15 years I have never had a case where having a roster at the table allowed me to avoid a problem. When there is an issue with the lineup go to the coach and get it corrected.

16. Broadening the penalty requiring head coaches to remain seated for the remainder of the match to include an unsporting conduct issued to any player on the court.

No... When a player has just shown her ass, I need the coach up in the coaches box bringing her player back into line. Save the seat belt for bench behavior.

6. Requiring the second referee to transition to the side of the offending team on all calls by the first referee.

Isn't this already in the officials manual? How does moving this to the rules book help a new official get it?

11. Allowing multiple contacts on a team’s second contact in addition to first contact as long as the contact does not result in the ball crossing the plane of the net.

NO... lets take all the skill out of the game???
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't work High School this year but here are what my votes would be:

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No- coaches need to be responsible enough to know where the clock is and have their lineup in on time.
5. Most definitely yes.Just looks so weird to see the crew lined up on the R1's side or maybe that's just the collegiate line judge in me.
6. No
7. No opinion
8. Absolutely not-I'm not a fan of this in USA Volleyball and I wouldn't be a fan of it in High School.
9. No-see above
10.No-realistically how many scorers would see the exchange if it ocurred at the baseline?
11.Absolutely not-we still have to have some ball handling expectation
12.No
13.No opinion
14.Yes
15.Yes
16.No opinion
17.No
18.Yes
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
My thoughts in bold.

Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. Schools utilizing large video boards with bright flashing lights to encourage excitement in the crowd during competition?
Yes, never been an issue to any teams.

2. Teams wearing like-colored bottoms with different color waistbands.
I have no idea. I'm not looking at waistbands.

3. Awkward or clumsy officials’ mechanics with the administration of the card(s) for unnecessary delay.
Yep.

4. Teams using electronic scorebooks as the official scorebook for the match.
Never in high school. Rarely in women's college. Quite a bit in men's college and USAV Adult Open.

5. Competitors wearing skid protectors or other hand padding, creating a competitive advantage by reducing spin when used as point of contact during play.
I've never once considered that it might offer any kind of advantage. After seeing this question...I have the same opinion. Weird question.

About the rules for 2018-19, would you favor…

1. Establishing specific size limitations for school name, mascot, and/or player’s name placed on the body of the solid-colored uniform top.
Don't care.

2. Restricting allowable uniform digits to be no higher than five to make it easier for officials to signal.
Don't care.

Goodness yes, PLEASE!

4. Modifying the penalty for late submission of a lineup to an unnecessary delay rather than loss of rally/point.
Yes. It's a delay. Let's treat it like a delay.

5. Modifying the National Anthem protocol to allow the second referee and one line judge to stand of the officials’ table side of the court to help facilitate pre-match procedures.
Don't care.

"Requiring?" No thanks. "Recommending is fine.

7. Restricting contact with the center line by any part of the body.
Nope, that's a slippery slope.

8. Allowing the encroachment into the opponent’s court with any part of the body if one part of the body is in contact or over the center line, provided there is no interference with opponents.
I like the rule, but it's going to take a lot of training to make sure people get this right.

9. Modifying the rule for net play to permit contact with the net or antenna by a player unless the contact is made during the action of playing a ball or it interferes with play.
Much like #8, like the rule, but it's going to take a lot of training to make sure people get this right.

10. Allowing the libero/replacement to enter the court from the baseline.
No way.

I'll be the oddball on this one, but I'd be *totally* ok with this. It'll never happen, though, but it would sure make ball handling a LOT easier.

12. Eliminating the re-serve.
Only if #13 gets adopted along with it.

13. Increasing the allowable time to make contact on a serve from five to eight seconds.
Only if #12 gets adopted along with it.

14. Allowing head coaches to request a decision review only if they have time-outs available.
Don't care. Not sure I've ever had a decision review in a high school match.

15. Removing the penalty (unnecessary delay for requesting a time-out in a set after a team has taken its allotted time-outs unless it is recognized by the second referee with a whistle.
Yes, but then you might have to adopt an improper request sanction as well.

No, too much of a penalty.

17. Adding a penalty to a team/coach for unsporting conduct by a spectator.
Maybe eventually, but not right off the bat.

18. Allowing nonplaying team members to stand at the end of the bench during play.
Yes, yes, yes, oh goodness please, yes.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 05:29pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Most of these, I'll bow to the greater wisdom of those with more experience than I have. But I will say that from my basketball background, uniform numbers that only use the digits 0-5 is a great thing. It makes presenting the number much easier.

Also, I would really like it if they stopped using a closed fist for 10. That's just dumb. A closed fist is a zero.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2017, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Most of these, I'll bow to the greater wisdom of those with more experience than I have. But I will say that from my basketball background, uniform numbers that only use the digits 0-5 is a great thing. It makes presenting the number much easier.

Also, I would really like it if they stopped using a closed fist for 10. That's just dumb. A closed fist is a zero.
Zero in volleyball is a circle, not a closed fist. Unless it's a double digit number's zero, then it's a closed fist. Yeah, that makes sense.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2017, 09:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Zero in volleyball is a circle, not a closed fist. Unless it's a double digit number's zero, then it's a closed fist. Yeah, that makes sense.
It actually makes more sense than making a closed fist BOTH zero and 10. But on the whole, I'd like to see a closed fist used only and always for zero.