View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because I am giving B2 the defensive player exception, not the throw-in exception. The interp this season is the first one that I've ever seen which states that a defensive player doesn't get his backcourt exception if the pass is tipped. I've never seen that before in twenty years of NFHS officiating and believe that it is a mistake.
OK I read the rule and I can see your dilemma. It does seem to be a conflicting bit of information. I can also see why people are splitting hairs over where the player initially jumped from - the frontcourt or backcourt, but I think it's just that - splitting hairs. I don't think there's anything there - just a poorly worded rule. The best argument I can come up with is that technically there is still no offense or defense because there is still no team control. Reading the POE in this year's Rule Book, it specifically states Team Control only applies for fouls by the throwing in team. It's not team control inbounds. Each team has a frontcourt and a backcourt, however, so each team can still create a backcourt violation. So neither team is the defense yet so you have to call the violation regardless of which team grabs the ball and comes down first foot in the frontcourt, second foot in the backcourt.

EDIT: Bob already said this in post #7 so I'm feeling vindicated

Last edited by Smitty; Fri Nov 10, 2017 at 10:06am.