View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 31, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a true story about a warning to the pitcher and catcher after a home run.

I was UIC at a military base officiating a Sr. American Legeon game; two man crew. Top of the third, two men on, and two outs, number 12 comes to the plate. He is a huge, beefy, teddy bear, about 6'4" 260 LBS. Before the game, at our plate conference, one of the coaches commented that there was a whole under the left field fence that is a ground rule double, but there hasn't been a H.R. in left field for three years due to the prevailing winds that blow in from that direction.

Nunber 12 didn't seem to heed the prevailing wind idea, because with the first pitch, I heard the teddy bear
grunt real hard, then the ping of the bat and that ball was gone before I could get half way down the third- base line. Two innings later, number 12 thundered to the plate. The fans were hushed and I could see some anticipation on the faces of the infield. I actually put up my left hand to hold off the pitch, an said to the catcher, "Don't you dare call a throw at the the batter!" Catch looked up at me questioningly, and said, "What do you mean?" "Your heard me catch!" I pointed the ball live, and I'll be damned if the first pitch didn't come in on the lead shoulder of number 12. I exploded. I yeld at the catcher, and the pitcher, I went out to my partner and ask him if the pitch looked like an intentional throw at the batter. "Gee Marty, I honestly believe it was an accident!" By then the coach came running out to calm things down. I told the coach, pitcher and catcher that there were four innings left to play, and if that ball comes near a batters head, all three were leanivg the park. I should never have been this enraged, but I was.

After the game, I was drinking some bottled water at the concession stand when a gentleman came up to me and said, "Blue, I appreciate your concern for the safety of the players, but I want you to know that number 12 is my son and the pitcher is our neighbor. They're like bothers and do everything together. That pitch was truly an accident."

I felt badly for my behavier, but would I do it again? YES!!

[Edited by wpiced on Aug 31st, 2003 at 08:47 PM]