View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
My logic on this play is that the ball is not dead until the try ends. So the foul is enforced when there is no time on the shot clock.
I agree with you with that part whole-heartedly.

By the rulebook definition, the shot clock is reset to 30-seconds "When a try for goal strikes the ring or flange and then control is gained by either team"

There is no "team control" nor is the ball gained while the ball is in flight in the scenario of the off-ball foul by Team B. IOW, if the ball hits the ring and then a foul on Team B occurs, then I agree with you; reset to 30 seconds.

In the original question by the OP, there is no team control while the ball is in flight when a foul on Team B occurs before it hits the ring and the ball is not gained by either team.

This scenario happened at a scrimmage of mine on Saturday and the whole crew had a great post-game discussion about this play; broke out the rulebook and everything. I was in the camp with you with the same line of thinking. After much discussion, the crew was able to change my thoughts on this play. Maybe you (and others on this board) can re-convince me.

I really hope Art Hyland clarifies these types of situations soon.