Thread: Foul tip
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Actually (and unfortunately for me), the AR doesn't mention the ball subsequently hitting anything; only the mitt, then going straight up in the air. That's what is causing the problem.

The interp I've always known (from this forum), is that it can rattle around all of F2's equipment, as long as it touched the mitt first.

The boss didn't want to hear it, and I'm in no position yet to debate him on it.
A.R.11.6^1: On a potential foul tip with two strikes on the batter...(1) Ball goes directly off the bat, nicks off the catcher's glove, off her mask, rebounds into the air, and the catcher dives to catch it in her glove; (2) Ball goes directly off the bat, nicks off the catcher's glove, hits her in the chest, rebounds up into the air where she can run under it and she catches it in her glove; (3) Ball goes directly off the bat, hits the catcher in the chest, rebounds upward where she is able catch it in her glove without taking a step; 4) Ball goes directly off the bat, nicks the catcher’s glove which pops it up off the umpire’s mask then it is eventually caught by the catcher.
RULING: The ruling on the first and second would be foul tip; strike three. The ruling on three and four would be foul ball because in 3) the first contact was not with the catcher’s hand or glove and in 4) the catcher was assisted by the umpire in completing the catch.