View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a private organization made up of its member schools.
According to filings, it is an unincorporated association. If it IS made up of member schools -- mostly public schools -- it COULD (depending on federal and state case law) fall under the area of a quasi-public agency. If public school districts got together and formed an association, that wouldn't make them (or the association) private.

Quote:
And therefore, can make its own rules.
They can make their own rules whether they are public or private, but public entities (and this is at worst, an open question here) can't violate constitutional protections of free speech. That's exactly what this smacks of. I've never, in my almost 30 years of officiating, heard of anyone suspended for anything other than what constituted really bad behavior ON the field/court, a criminal offense, or something like not showing up for an assignment.

Have you?

The other problem (for the OHSAA) is that school districts themselves usually have some form of governmental immunity by statute. It is unlikely this association has it.

Do you really like the idea of your association suspending you for saying something critical about them? I don't.