View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 14, 2017, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In fact, no mention was made of the reason why they were uncertain. It could be the horn as well as other reasons. And as I said, in my experience, not hearing the horn over crowd noise seems to be more common than not being able to see the shot.
Both issues are critical to be sure. I would say from my experiences I have had fewer hearing-the-horn issues compared to the times when the ruling official ends up having the least favorable or less-than-ideal angle of the release. Fortunately, that doesn't mean he/she cannot make the correct call because most often the disparity between the horn and release or the release and horn is obvious from any angle. But in those situations where the horn-release/or release-horn is extremely close, a less-than-ideal angle of the ruling official is going to create some uncertainty for that official. I think we all would agree, if there is any doubt, we are not waving off the try. So, going back to my original question, if the ball goes in, would you be more comfortable going ahead and counting it and quite possibly having one or both of your partners come to you with information that likely will result in changing the call? Or, withhold any signal and go directly to your partners to discuss and make the decision together?