View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
For the same reasons, I will give a loud verbal "NO!" on a trapped ball followed by a safe signal. That might not be exactly by the book either, but I think runners and partners need to know as soon as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Over the years I have found that just as many hear "out" as hear "no"
I do the same thing. NO for a not-out, YES for an out. Pulled foot? "NO!", followed by safe signal. High throw and the foot stayed on? "YES!" + point, plus out signal to reflect the closeness of the play.

During my formative years, ASA (now USA) had a big push towards single-syllable vocalizations. Example on a check swing: Mask off, point to partner, and "SWING?" I still haven't gotten that entirely out of my system.

I yell NO on a trap, too. I know the safe signal on a no-catch is not the USA/ASA mechanic, but dang is it useful in the codes that allow it. NO plus a safe signal is evident to everyone, no matter what level of hearing impairment.