View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 11, 2017, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That verbal should not be your indicator of a runner leaving the base properly or not, especially since an out being record has no bearing on when a runner may leave the base to advance on a caught fly ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
However, I don't get the speed of the game factor.
I give a strong vocal out for a caught infield line drive in order to be a better partner for my crew. It's not supposed to be an indicator of the timing of the catch. If the play is going away from his starting position, or he's straight-lined on the catch (which is fine because he doesn't have the catch/no-catch call here), or there may be concern about a trap, a loud vocal call allows him to know with certainty what the game situation is, even with non-optimal positioning. From there, he can move or read the throw to make a proper call on a snap-throw for the live-ball appeal. Without the vocal, that snap throw can be too quick for him to read the play, watch me signal, and then correctly rule on the secondary play.