View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 07:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You live in a state where your referee association, and/or your state interscholastic sport governing body (perhaps independent of the NFHS, perhaps not) made padded protective headbands illegal. No fuss. No bother. No mess. Crystal clear. (I still question how the padded protective headband that pretty much looks like a regular headband (a little puffier) can be made illegal, but that's just my professional curiosity.)
Our local official's association that I belong to have no "interpretation" role in our state. The IHSA is the only body that can give an official interpretation. Even as a State Clinician, we only go by what we are told to do or can go to our Head Clinician for clarification as needed. But the IHSA already ruled on this.

Quote:
I live in a state that unilaterally (independent of the NFHS, and independent of IAABO International) made padded protective headbands legal, with no color restrictions (like knee braces). That was several years ago and only in Connecticut (we call stuff like this "Connecticut Only Rules And/Or Mechanics" (there are just a few)).

Last year IAABO International made an interpretation that padded protective headbands were legal, with no color restrictions, I believe, independent of NFHS rules. This IAABO interpretation was, obviously, only for games officiated by IAABO members.
Well, take that up with your local association. Not sure why you are asking the NF to rule on something they have already seemed to rule on. The NF is not likely to change or add more to what they have already stated.

Quote:
While I was preparing an educational article regarding equipment restrictions, I came up against these conflicting (IAABO vs. NFHS) interpretations, so I've been trying sort this out. I do not want my article published unless I can back up everything that I've written in the article. I'm not "worried" about the rule/interpretation, I'm "worried" about my professional reputation as a basketball official educator after my article is published.
Fair enough, but this was already discussed here. Maybe you need to contact your higher ups and not keep whining here? I, me and we have told you what we know. If you are that concerned, it is time to pick up the phone or send an email to the people that are over your association. This has always been my issue with IAABO and never join them if you cannot get something this simple clarified.

Quote:
Hopefully, I'll get some closure from my local interpreter after he attends the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017. After that, all should be the same under both NFHS and IAABO rules/interpretations, or at least, IAABO will acknowledge that its interpretation is in conflict with NFHS rules.
I am sure he has more to worry about than this issue. BUT if he doesn't, let him tell you what you need to know. But otherwise, we are not in a position to tell you any more than we know.

Peace