View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We can all agree that we can penalize during live balls, even if the clock isn't running, no need for discussion on that. Team members are always participating under those circumstances
If live ball penalties can be assessed, regardless of the clock status, then why can't the same be said for dead ball penalties? Ergo, status of the clock is irrelevant.

To me, you have live/dead ball penalties and the clock's status has no affect.

You seem to be focusing on a specific dead ball period (after made basket). What about the others such as just before tip-off, before a throw-in, or before a free throw. When the officials see 5+ players on the court, there is no penalty, they just get rid of (so to speak) the extras. So why not apply the same concept to your dead ball period? Does that not seem logical?

Indeed, it is the only situation in which the ball status goes live-dead-live automatically but to me, it stands to reason to apply how it is handled in the same manner as the other situations.

Love your passion and not even trying to convince you of anything, only offering how I handle it given written words in the rule book. I will definitely throw this at our state interpreter and see what kind of feedback comes.