View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 12, 2017, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Furthermore ...

Made basket by Team A, immediate time-out by Team A is granted by the officials, officials notice six team members departing the floor for Team A. How do you handle it?

No team technical foul. The ball is dead, and clock is stopped. The six team members are not participating.

Multiple substitutions. All substitutes report and are legally beckoned. Extra team member is confused and stays on court, unnoticed by everybody. Ball put into play. Quick foul occurs. No substitutions. One and one free throws awarded. First free throw made. No substitutions. Extra team member discovered by officials (who don't know when the extra team member entered) during dead ball, clock stopped, after first free throw made while the ball is in the hands of the lead official.

No team technical foul. The ball is dead, and clock is stopped. The six team members are not participating.

I've also learned that individual substitutes who have reported to the scorekeeper and have been beckoned by the officials can't be charged with an individual substitute technical foul for not reporting or not being beckoned, even if more than five team members end up on the court. It's either a team technical foul for more than five team members participating (see previous posts in this thread), or send an extra team member back to the bench, unpenalized.

Also, I've learned that if the table tells the officials that there were six team members participating during a recent live ball, or clock running situation, that it's too late to penalize because the officials themselves must recognize the infraction during a live ball, or clock running situation. I believe that we can't seek help from the table counting players (the officials themselves must recognize the infraction), but that's not the main reason why we can't penalize, it's because it's too late, the ball is now dead and the clock is now stopped.

Not the exact situation (team, not table), but similar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
10.2.2 SITUATION: With Team A leading 51 to 50, a held ball is called. A6 properly reports and enters the game. Time is then called by Team A. The clock shows two seconds remaining in the game. After play is resumed by a throw-in, the officials: (b) do not notice Team A has six players on the court. Following the throw-in, time expires. Team B now reports to the officials that Team A had six players on the court. RULING: In (b), since it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after time had expired, it is too late to assess any penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 12, 2017 at 03:45pm.