View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 28, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Men's SP ASA. R1 on 1B, no outs. B2 hits long base hit to deep right field. R1 rounds third as ball is relayed from the outfield. F2 sets up facing right field with his left foot blocking edge of the edge of home plate that faces 3B. Relay throw to F2 is towards first base dugout, so F2 has to stretch to his right to make the catch, but does not move his left foot from its position on the edge of home plate. Then R1 steps on F2's left foot without touching home plate. F2 spins/sweeps around to try and tag R1, but R1 has already passed by and continues into offensive team dugout area (past fence) on first base side. I make no call until R1 has entered dugout area. F2 states "I blocked the plate!" I believe that I can't call obstruction on F2 since he had possession of the ball before R1 stepped on his foot blocking home plate. I can't call R1 safe, since he never touched home plate. I can't call R1 out on the tag, since F2 never tagged him. Once R1 passes the fence I call R1 out for entering the dugout area. Of course, offensive team is not happy with the call.

Is my reasoning in making this call correct?
No, it is not. In ASA, a runner who has passed a base is to considered as touching it pending proper appeal.

The proper mechanic by a PU in this situation is allow the play to occur. Hesitate momentarily to see if the catcher attempts to follow the runner with a tag or the runner tries to return and touch the plate. If that happens, you allow the play to continue and make the appropriate call.

If that doesn't happen, rule the runner safe as he has met the standard prescribed in the rules. The runner is still subject to proper appeal by the defense.

This is covered very well in ASA POE 1.I and General Plate Mechanics-Appeal at the Plate on page 219 of the rule book.