Thread: BOO today
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

OK, some of you are touching on the aspect of the situation that concerned me.

First off, here's what we did:
The incorrect batter's time at bat was negated.
The player who should have batted (just before the incorrect batter batted) was called out.
The runner who scored on the wild pitch was returned to the base.
The (former) incorrect batter came to bat again (and was retired).

I found this in the March 2010 Plays & Clarifications. I think some modifications were made to the BOO effects since then.

Section D[2] Addresses batting out of order after the incorrect batter has completed their turn at bat and before a pitch (legal or illegal) to the next batter; or before the pitcher and all infielders have vacated their normal fielding positions and have left fair territory.

If the incorrect batter completes their turn at bat and then is discovered by the defense before a pitch to the next batter; or before all infielders have vacated their normal fielding positions, the player who should have batted is ruled out and the out would be recorded in the proper batter’s position in the line-up. Any advancement by a runner(s) or any run(s) that scored because of the incorrect batter becoming a batter-runner would be nullified. Runners would return to their base(s). Any outs made because of the improper batting stand. The next batter to bat would be the player whose name follows that of the batter who was declared out for not batting in proper order with one exception. The exception would be if the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat and is the next scheduled batter. Simply skip them in the batting order as they have already been credited with an out, and the next person in the line-up would be the next batter.

So where I got hung up was on 3 of the effect:
3) Any advancement or score of a runner as a result of the incorrect batter is negated. Runners not called out must return to the last base occupied at the time of the pitch. Any runner who is called out prior to the discovery of the infraction remains out.

The runner from third base scored on Ball 3. I remember that because I ended up going from "C" back to "A" and then the batter walked on the next pitch.

I guess we should have ruled that the runner should have scored because it was not as a direct "result" of anything that the incorrect batter did.

There's also this reference to "at the time of the pitch". I think this refers to the incorrect batter putting the ball into play.

A couple of more scenarios that will serve to further confuse myself.

Had the runner from third advanced and scored on a wild pitch ball four, would that count as a "result" of the incorrect batter? And if we're returning the runner, to third or back to second?

Had there been 2 outs and the batter popped out to F1 who then dropped the ball for an error with the incorrect batter reaching first base and the runner scoring, is that considered "a result" of the incorrect batter?

If there was no WP but the BR then ran to second and in the subsequent action, the runner from third scored, would she have to be returned or not?

I think my/our mistake was thinking that what happened "during" the incorrect batter's time at bat would all be negated (except if the runner was out trying to advance on a steal/WP/PB).

I'm trying to recall how many BOOs I've had during my time umpiring. I think I can count them on 1 hand. Looks like I/we kicked this one.

And the home team won the game when their runner who had been placed on second base scored on 2 wild pitches.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Jul 17, 2017 at 02:48pm.