Thread: Ref Shortage
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2017, 02:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I guess it depends on where you are.
In my little corner of Connecticut: 300 officials, 75 high schools, both genders (with very few exceptions), varsity, junior varsity, freshman, almost all two man crews; coaches, athletic directors, and principals don't like officials working doubleheaders if one of those games is a varsity game, unless absolutely necessary, many middle school programs (both genders). Boys and girls play on different nights, or at different sites (i.e. boys home, girls away, no such thing as a boys/girls doubleheader). Middle school, and freshman, games scheduled in the late afternoon (3:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m.), junior varsity (5:30 p.m.) and varsity (7:00 p.m.) at night. Not many Saturdays (except freshman games, and prep high school games), no Sundays. Very few schools with auxiliary gymnasiums that can seat fans.

We have a few dozen guys that don't work high school games (they just want the "patch" so that they can work their local town recreation, and travel games).

A few guys get hurt, a few guys get the flu, and it's tough to cover busy Fridays. Get a few games snowed out, and it get tough to have enough officials to cover the makeup nights.

Our new class has had about thirty officials the past few years, but that same number leaves for whatever reason (not moving up fast enough), or retires.

We've restructured out rating system so that deserving officials can move up quicker (no minimum years experience to move up, all one needs is talent). We may also start conducting exit interviews to see if we can make policy changes to keep officials from prematurely leaving.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 06:24am.