Thread: Ref Shortage
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2017, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
18 years if officiating basketball from HS varsity down to youth levels during the entire year. So I've seen all the crap we talk about from the parents, coaches and unfortunately the kids. I believe it has gotten much worse in the 18 years I have been doing this. My feeling is that youth associations, NFHS, or whatever governing body in charge has to start to set in motion a zero tolerance policy. Its about time this nonsense stops so the kids can start to have "fun" (sorry I used the F word) and the officials can just do their job and not have to "manage" anyone. It sounds impossible but I wonder what would happen after a year of no tolerance. Kick out the parents, don't allow any coach antics ( I mean none), and teach the kids that they have to just shut up and play. The nonsense behavior from all around has become the norm not the exception. This clearly needs to be reversed. I know I always comment to my partner when we do a game where players play, coaches coach, and parents clap and cheer.... Good game "just like its supposed to be."
That's up to you (and other refs) to manage. Most don't IMO. I do. I also have more coaches not like me because I don't like to deal with garbage. Way toooooo many officials let to much slide that coaches know it's easier to just request me off a game because they have a 75%+ chance of getting guys that will let them and their players act like fools.

When refs complain about a coaches or players behavior and I ask them what they did about it. If they say they did nothing I ask them to stop complaining to me. If they said they did something but the behavior didn't change I then ask them then why did you change your adjudication if you ALREADY drew a line. If they say nothing then I ask them to stop complaining to me. If they did take care of business then I can usually relate because it's the same offenders year in/year out that as officials we just roll our eyes because in part working those games aren't exactly fun sometimes.