Thread: that coach
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post

I said "[NAME], that's enough!" and that was that. No more complaints the rest of the rain-shortened game.

The UIC at this event gave me feedback in the postgame that using the coach's name might have escalated the situation. I get that, I see how that could happen. But in the moment, that was the best warning I could have used. To me, the rest of the game proves that.

I agree 100% with what you did. WAY too many coaches have a very deranged mentality nowadays. They treat that field like Las Vegas or whatever, and they live by the mentality that what happens on that field, stays on that field. As a result, they have this sense of a free ticket to just treat umpires and fellow coaches and players like dirt during the game. Then, when the game is over, they're the ones walking up to you in the concession line patting you on the back and laughing about the whole thing. I don't subscribe to that thinking--they should be respectful and treat you just the same as anywhere else. When you called him by his name, you sent a message loud and clear that you don't subscribe to the "field amnesia" either. Personally, I'd like to see more ejections at some of the school and travel games I watch. Some people are out of control.