Thread: that coach
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 25, 2017, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
He wanted shoulder and neck high pitches called a strike.
He constantly asked the catcher where a pitch was (answer “high” each time).
He came out of the dugout once to ask the PU when the catcher shrugged.

He wanted an automatic base on an obstruction.
He objected to the BU confirming a catch on strike 3. Same on a missed tag.
He wanted an out on LBR when the pitcher faked a throw.
You would think a 16&U coach would know better by now.
His manner was irritating most of the time.
He kept announcing the count of calls/rulings he disagreed with.

Yes, probably too patient, and you probably will say so; especially for the next crew. Thought he would go over the edge any moment; making it him, not umpire feelings.

p.s. the opposing coach was a model of patience and understanding.
Rough games happen. It sucks, but they happen. May I rant for a bit?

Someone once told me: "You only regret the ejections you don't have." It's very true. I have fewer than 20 EJ's in 19 years, but I've never gone home thinking "I shouldn't have dumped that guy." More often, I'm discussing it over beers, wishing I had tossed the belligerent coach. If you're getting ridden like a rented mule: IAWE - Ignore, Acknowledge, Warn, Eject. That may be a baseball mentality, but I don't care.

(Long story warning) Last year, at a relatively high level tournament, I had a team that just....SUCKED to work with. Everything was worth bitching and moaning about. In fact, if you dig through my post history, you'll find a post about a call I made in one of their games: an INT call at 2B on a double play. It was a call I probably should not have made, but it was the best call in my judgment at the time.

When I made that call, the assistant coach at 1B nearly lost his mind. He'd been ejected once during that tournament, and I was not giving him much rope. He came out to 2B to gripe, and when he saw I wasn't going to go for "help" he walked off...as he did, he gave me a parting shot on the way. I said "[NAME], that's enough!" and that was that. No more complaints the rest of the rain-shortened game.

The UIC at this event gave me feedback in the postgame that using the coach's name might have escalated the situation. I get that, I see how that could happen. But in the moment, that was the best warning I could have used. To me, the rest of the game proves that.

Use the tools you have. This isn't basketball; we can't give out technical fouls. We can either warn or eject. Don't be shy about using what we have.