Thread: Ref Shortage
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't do any youth, adult, or off season basketball. It's just not worth it. When it was at the point that I was handing out more T's and dealing with more unruly fans that the game it's just not worth my time. I can also say that coaches are a big part of the problem. NY State relies on coaches ratings for advancement and I am usually in the middle of the pack, mostly because I don't put up with much, from player or coaches.

I will answer questions respectfully all day, but bad behavior I have 0 tolerance for. I have actually gotten into it with 2 partners in the last 3 years that let stuff go and not address it, then I see them being buddy buddy with a coach during the game and I bring it up. We don't do ourselves any favors. Reffing is an avocation but when you are working a game it's YOUR job.

My expectation is that if you work a game with me you do YOUR job.
I'm with you.

This is one of the few reasons I'm glad I live in South Carolina. We've got plenty of issues (would bet more than most states), but the fact that all varsity assignments come out of Columbia means that we don't have to worry about assigners employing a "don't rock the boat" philosophy of pandering to the coaches. The state office generally backs us up for enforcing sportsmanship rules, and the $300 fine and suspension for ejected coaches doesn't hurt, either.

Our archaic rating system also thankfully does not have a coaches rating component (though there is a peer rating component which presents a whole host of different issues). Giving the coaches the say in who works deep into the postseason is shameful, IMO, and I'll never understand why so many states rely on it.