View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2017, 06:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Equipment" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For NFHS there is a specific Case Book ruling that throwing the ball off the offensive backboard and getting it is perfectly legal.
Nice citation Nevadaref. Thanks.

9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used.

Now, what would happen if, instead of catching the ball in the air and shooting (dunking) the ball, he came down with the ball (there's no indication in the caseplay that A1 moved his feet, or didn't move his feet, while the ball was in the air on its way to the backboard), and then decided to start a new dribble when the official is 100% sure that it wasn't a try?

This caseplay answers one specific question (it's not an illegal (double) dribble), but leaves a lots of questions (is it a travel), with corresponding rule citations, unanswered. Was A1 allowed to move his feet? Was A1 allowed to start a new dribble?

I know that there are no self passes in NFHS rules, but this really is a case of a self pass, with one very specific legal situation described in the caseplay.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 19, 2017 at 03:55pm.