View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
What are you doing to get checked swings correct? What's your mechanic? What's your focus?
As the pitch is delivered, I turn my attention from the pitcher to the plate area. I am looking for

- batter fouling the ball off of himself
- Hit by pitch
- a foul dropped by the catcher/foul tip
- swing or no swing
- foul or swing and miss
- interference by the batter or catcher

Im not sure what you are looking for with regards to focus. I have been taught that the old ideas about swing/ no swing are incorrect. That is, bringing the bat head over the plate or in front of the plate is not necessarily an offer. "Breaking the wrists" is not necessarily an offer. An offer is judged on a number of criteria that have to do with multiple factors. When I am in B or C, I do not have complete information on whether the offer was made when it is close. I'm not saying I would never rule that the batter offered from the middle or the back of the batter. But it would need to be clear and obvious. It is not unlike calling a balk on a LHP whose free foot may or may not have broken the plane of the back of the pitchers plate prior to throwing to first. Being in B position places you at a disadvantage when trying to see that fine line as well.

Here is a guideline from the NFHS baseball rules that I think is helpful (10-1-4). A nearly identical statement is found in NFHS softball rule 2-11

Quote:
As an aid in deciding, the umpire may note whether the swing carried the barrel of the bat past the body of the batter, but final decision is based on whether the batter actually struck at the ball.
It is impossible to see if the barrel came past the body of the batter (if it's close) if you are in B or C. Even if that may not be the deciding factor anyway, B or C position is not a good position to see whatever you need to see.

In the OBR rules, there is no such guidance, but there is a reference to the appeal being made to the 1st or 3rd base umpire.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mbilica; Wed Jun 14, 2017 at 10:36am.