Thread: NBA Finals
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 07:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS v NBA differences
(A quick list after only a couple minutes of thought)
Backcourt count- length and reset
Shot clock
Closely-guarded
BI & GT -- backboard
Block/charge--upward movement & RA
Screens
Zone defense
FT lane width
Court length
3pt line distance & shape
How Ts count or don't as individual fouls
5 fouls v 6 fouls
32 minutes v 48 minutes
Trash talking v sporting behavior emphasis
Showboating and hanging on the ring
Jumpball restarts
Backcourt access on throw-ins
Traveling rules
What do those rules have to do with how the game basically looks? If you call a foul for example, the result is basically the same. A team called for a violation loses the ball. If a team is called for a you either get shots or you get the ball out of bounds. It is not like football where a foul might not even be enforced from the same spot or you get an automatic first down during certain actions in the NFL and never come close to that in a high school game. We as football can watch an NFL game and not have a single application of a foul the same, but not one goes around and says, "You cannot watch the NFL and understand what is going on." But for some reason we act like the NBA is a different animal. Well I can tell you the NFL has about 300 rules differences to the NF or high school rules. College football has about 200 or so more differences from the NFL and no one says you cannot learn how to call a holding foul from the NFL. As a matter of fact many of the philosophies on what is a foul often comes from the NFL as they have video and training that has trickled down.

If the claim is that the philosophies are different, of course they are on some level. You have adults compared to children playing. That is the case at any professional level compared to high school aged kids. The way a manager in baseball comes out to argue a safe/out call is totally different than what is allowed from the MLB to NF or even youth baseball. You cannot restrict that manager to the dugout in the pros. I am sure and know that language is allowed with adults that would never be allowed with kids. Again everyone is getting paid well so I would expect there to be some differences. The bottom line is when I see a foul in the NBA if I am a student of the game I know why that fouls or violation is called and not totally confused. If I am confused that confused, I never watched a basketball game. Many of us became officials because of what we liked or witnessed at the pro or college level. We often learn that those rules are vastly different in certain areas, but the general job we are doing is exactly the same.

Peace