View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 12, 2017, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I posted this question a long time ago. Runner completely intentionally violently takes out an obstructing F2 then touches the plate. At the time, nothing in ASA allowed for an out, with run not scoring. EJ yes, but nothing else. Fed ball allows for an out along with EJ.

Has anything changed?
I remember this conversation. To my recollection, nothing has changed. Per USA/ASA rules, if F2 was not making a play by preparing to catch a thrown ball, there is no rule support for an interference out. The run counts, as does the ejection. NFHS has an automatic out + ejection for MC by a runner, as you point out. As a matter of fact, this is the same as the NCAA rule, and it's the reason for my only ejection thus far this year. F2 obstructing but no play, R1 throws an elbow into F2 while scoring. Count the run, and we need a new fielder to play second base (R1 was F4 for the offense, if that's not clear).

Cecil - my original response to your OP was going to be one word: "Intent." But...I knew that would derail the post. My original flowchart of an answer still stands... If no intent and the runner scored before "OBS", I have nothing. Again, how would I decide on INT: intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
USA has a crash rule but the fielder must have the ball and be waiting to make a tag.
Nothing in the OP suggested M.C.
This is a good point. In fact, the crash Rules Supplement (RS #13.F) points out that if the fielder is drawn into the runner due to the path of the thrown ball, it is explicitly NOT a crash, and thus not INT.

While I hate the phrase "players doing what they are supposed to do", it's applicable sometimes. You can have contact and you can have a collision without necessarily having OBS or INT. AND HERE'S WHY WE GET THE BIG BUCKS....you can have zero contact sometimes and still have OBS or INT.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Jun 12, 2017 at 06:14pm.