View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I have always tried to establish in the 1st inning, with both pitchers, the idea of maintaining eye contact with both pitchers - i.e. - if looking at the batter who has the foot out of the box - I am not in my set position, don't pitch; once I start getting into my set position, and making eye contact - it's ok to start the pitching process. It works 99.9999% of the time, and I never have to raise an arm, and I hardly ever have to say anything. As a result, my games behind the plate usually move pretty smoothly with very little problems.

Also with batters, even if they are keeping the one foot in, but taking 5...6..7 swings, I will - very quietly, after the 5th swing, just go "ok". It doesn't take long for them to take only 4 or 5, and I generally never have any problems there either. Again, I have established control without ever raising my voice once.

This way, when I HAVE to raise my voice on something, it is 1000% more effective. It's amazing the number of umpires who never understand this.

Last edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE; Sat Jun 10, 2017 at 08:08pm.