View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ump Steve explained it pretty well. The pitcher is obligated to wait in all codes. The USA/ASA specific wording in Rule 6, section 10.B is.

It is No Pitch ...."When the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken a position in the batter’s box or when the batter is off balance."

If the pitcher pitches before the batter is set, it is a no pitch and a "quick pitch".

Last fall during a 12U game a coach came to me and asked about my instruction to the pitcher to wait. She said she wasn't familiar with ASA rules because she coached college. She asked if it was a rule to protect the little kids. I told her i did not ump college but that i had the college rule book on my phone and I was sure it was in there. showed it to her between games and she really was surprised, which really surprised me.

I only hold my hand up if the pitcher is not waiting and then I expect the pitcher to stop the quick pitch. Usually get some flak from the dugout. "Blue, her feet are in the box." Only once had to give a warning to make it stop.