Thread: today's OBS
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Speaking NFHS, it's not an interp, it's a rule. 8-8-17

Can you clarify what you don't like about it? I think it's fair. If runners were called out for passing leading obstructed runners, obstruction on the lead runner would become a valid defensive tactic on any extra base hit with runners on base, and would create additional confusion for the offense.
This was not a NFHS game. Not sure which rule set, but HS ball in Cecil's area finished a week ago.

I believe the interpretation for ASA came out around 2013.

The rule has always allowed for an award to any other runner affected by an OBS. IOW, if the runner checked up and did not pass the OBS runner, s/he would still be awarded the bases due had the OBS not taken place. However, it was done without another rule violation taking place. Using it as a strategy and then arguing about it would/should only get the coach ejected and runners still awarded the appropriate base(s). This was just as fair

When this was first raised, I saw this as an indictment of the officials that collectively could not or would not do their job.