View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 09:37pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I agree...and that's why I talked through the play as I saw it as shown on video. I didn't comment on the quality of the judgment call, I only stated what judgment call I would have made from what I could see in the video. U3 has much better angle AND distance on the call than I do from behind my keyboard 1000 miles away.
I tend to agree with you. The play started with runners at first and second. The runner from first was lying on the ground when she reached second safely, and then F4 threw the ball wild to home. Unless that runner was Flash Gordon, it's extremely improbable that she would have gone from her position on the ground at second to home safely had there been no obstruction. F4's throw was made at 0:09 in the video, and the catcher recovered the wild throw and made it back near home plate at 0:15. That's six seconds starting from her being on the ground. The better speeds going from second to home on a base hit are from 5.3 to 5.5 seconds at the D1 college level. I think she should have been returned to third base.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker