Thread: base mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
BU in B slot.
Another ump says that when R1 goes from 1st to 3rd on a steal/PB; the BU has the call at 3rd because it is the last runner.
Please help me find this play in the manual.
I have always been taught that the plate umpire has the call at 3B on a 1st to 3rd steal/passed ball.

2017 USA Softball Umpire Manual, page 37, paraphrased.

Chapter 4: Plate Mechanics; Section B: Movement from the Plate -- 1a: On a ball that eludes the catcher: passed ball, fly ball behind the catcher, or a dropped third strike, the plate umpire should be ready to move to clear the catcher.

1a (3): After the umpire has cleared the catcher, move to the next area of responsibility; the catch, trailing the batter-runner, play at 3B or the plate.

2a: After going to the holding zone, and a play develops at 3B, move inside the diamond about two-thirds of the way to 3B, to a minimum of 10-12 feet from the base, obtaining a 90-degree angle. Stop, read the play, and make the call.