View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've been unhappy with daddy basketball coaches, but I kept my mouth shut and told my daughter to work harder.

When I'm at games, I sit away from other parents.
When I coached my daughter in travel ball from 3rd grade to 7th grade...6th grade was the first year they could play for their school team. I wasn't the coach of the school team and it was her first time playing for someone other than me. The coach did a good job with the kids IMHO....I had no complaints, probably cause I've been in his shoes and also cause "I get it". I never had crazy thoughts that my kid was the best player and deserved anything....I treated her that way coaching her. If anything, I was probably less fair to her than other kids because I didn't want that perception of being "Daddy Coach".

I never complained about anything when she played for school team and like you, I had to sit away from the other parents. The same parents of kids I was coaching in travel ball for a couple years leading into school team.

I can't say all of them but several were quite comical and animated and had plenty to say from the bleachers. I'm sure the same things I was hearing as a spectator about the school coach and/or some of these kids were the same things being said when I was the travel team coach.

I was asked once by a parent, "Why do you just sit there?" My reply was the same as it was when I would do my pre-season meeting with parents as their kids' coach. We all have a role and I'm not coaching this team, I'm not reffing the game and I'm not playing in the game...I'm here as a parent and I know my role. Cheer the kids.

I guess those that can, do...I'm a much better sports parent because I have coached and officiated. I'm a much better coach because I've officiated and I'm a much better official because I've coached...I understand the dynamic and landscape of each role. If I hadn't coached or officiated, I don't think I would have the mindset I do when it comes to youth sports in general....I'd probably be "one of those parents" and I'm so glad I'm not.