The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is an epidemic. I bet most of us could mention a local coach who was fired because an administrator refused to stand up to a whiny parent or three.
We shouldn't be surprised. This is the culture we've made....and far outside of basketball. Too many people believe it is other people's responsibility to make their life better and complain as a way to get things their way instead of working for it.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Millenials. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/NEsUudZvntE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The children would be millennials so the problem lies with the generation that raised them. Looking at the parents that caused this coach to be fired I would say the are in their 40s. During my short coaching experience, this generation of parent were the worst.

The best coaching job would be at an orphanage
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Orphan Annie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Nice line. I've been saying that for years.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
The children would be millennials so the problem lies with the generation that raised them. Looking at the parents that caused this coach to be fired I would say the are in their 40s. During my short coaching experience, this generation of parent were the worst.

It isn't all of them...not all parents raised their children to expect that they would be handed everything, or even anything. Some (many) have still taught their children that they actually have to earn what they want....and they'll be the ones who are more likely to move into successful adult lives while the other keep fussing about something not being fair or easy enough.

You see plenty of complainers/whiners and the doers everywhere you look. The complainers/whiners are everywhere (just look at your nightly news), but, there are still plenty of doers out there.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

I can't say the problem is for sure this or that but I can say if your bank mismanaged your money you would be pissed if there was little recourse . . . Unfortunately misguided world views by parents and society alike have turned sports and school into year round training grounds for kids and their families to invest their way through to hopefully get scholarships and security out the other end. By the time a kid gets to high school their academics and extra curricular are a multi thousand dollar investment compounded over a decade, with hopes there will be a big pay off. When coach/player and elements of those dynamics don't meet "expectation" you get the same visceral reaction as if you have taken their nest egg.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 08:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It isn't all of them...not all parents raised their children to expect that they would be handed everything, or even anything. Some (many) have still taught their children that they actually have to earn what they want....and they'll be the ones who are more likely to move into successful adult lives while the other keep fussing about something not being fair or easy enough.

You see plenty of complainers/whiners and the doers everywhere you look. The complainers/whiners are everywhere (just look at your nightly news), but, there are still plenty of doers out there.

I've been unhappy with daddy basketball coaches, but I kept my mouth shut and told my daughter to work harder.

When I'm at games, I sit away from other parents.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been unhappy with daddy basketball coaches, but I kept my mouth shut and told my daughter to work harder.

I was a daddy coach for 13 years, but in soccer. Almost all of my parents over the 13 years were great. I only had problems with 2 that I remember and both were about playing time or how I used their child.

The first was recreational and in the younger ages I kept playing time equal by sticking to a planned rotation where everyone would play within 1-2 minutes of each other over a game. The only time I deviated was when there was an injury and someone had to fill in. Yet, I had a parent complain that their child was being shorted. Being the tech person I am, I had a spreadsheet where I kept track of playing time over the season and the parent didn't have much else to say when I showed her the data.

In the other case, it was a older, more competitive level and a parent who was new to the team thought I was not giving their child a chance to play to their strengths. She played but not where her parents wanted her to be playing all the time...in the "star" positions. In practice, their child was constantly getting beat by most of the team and just was not very good. I still played her a fair number of minutes (everyone played) but she wanted always play the same position as half of the team and it was not possible to accommodate everyone as much as they wanted.

I took a couple years away from one of the teams and the parents begged me to return because the parent that took over the coaching while I was out was anything but fair...it was all focused on his daughter and it wasn't even subtle. She was good, but in soccer 1 person can't carry a team.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 12, 2017 at 01:19pm.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When I coached my daughter in travel ball from 3rd grade to 7th grade...6th grade was the first year they could play for their school team. I wasn't the coach of the school team and it was her first time playing for someone other than me. The coach did a good job with the kids IMHO....I had no complaints, probably cause I've been in his shoes and also cause "I get it". I never had crazy thoughts that my kid was the best player and deserved anything....I treated her that way coaching her. If anything, I was probably less fair to her than other kids because I didn't want that perception of being "Daddy Coach".

I never complained about anything when she played for school team and like you, I had to sit away from the other parents. The same parents of kids I was coaching in travel ball for a couple years leading into school team.

I can't say all of them but several were quite comical and animated and had plenty to say from the bleachers. I'm sure the same things I was hearing as a spectator about the school coach and/or some of these kids were the same things being said when I was the travel team coach.

I was asked once by a parent, "Why do you just sit there?" My reply was the same as it was when I would do my pre-season meeting with parents as their kids' coach. We all have a role and I'm not coaching this team, I'm not reffing the game and I'm not playing in the game...I'm here as a parent and I know my role. Cheer the kids.

I guess those that can, do...I'm a much better sports parent because I have coached and officiated. I'm a much better coach because I've officiated and I'm a much better official because I've coached...I understand the dynamic and landscape of each role. If I hadn't coached or officiated, I don't think I would have the mindset I do when it comes to youth sports in general....I'd probably be "one of those parents" and I'm so glad I'm not.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Refs-N-Coach:
By virtue of having seen the game from "both sides" [i.e., a ref and a coach] you have acquired a well-balanced perspective which has evidently provided you with the primary beneficial factor of youth sports: an ability to Enjoy the Game. Thanks for sharing!
Old Thu Apr 13, 2017, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Test

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpayne64bball View Post
Test

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yo, what have you done with BNR?
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 08:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Yo, what have you done with BNR?
I decided to come above ground....LOL I was testing the Tapatalk app.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 08:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I decided to come above ground....LOL I was testing the Tapatalk app.

Just log into the forum on Tapatalk with your Raymond ID. I'm posting this from Tapatalk right now.

Have to say, I always thought you had one of the best usernames here.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 10:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Just log into the forum on Tapatalk with your Raymond ID. I'm posting this from Tapatalk right now.
Took me a while, but I finally figured that out. You'd think an IT guy would catch on a little quicker.

Quote:
Have to say, I always thought you had one of the best usernames here.
It was actually derived from the town I've called home for the last 18+ years. Newport News is known as Bad Newz around these parts, and often for good reason. My youngest graduates from high school in June and I'll be working on selling my house and moving to a different community.
Old Fri Apr 14, 2017, 10:18am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Took me a while, but I finally figured that out. You'd think an IT guy would catch on a little quicker.

It was actually derived from the town I've called home for the last 18+ years. Newport News is known as Bad Newz around these parts, and often for good reason. My youngest graduates from high school in June and I'll be working on selling my house and moving to a different community.
We'd love to have you up here