View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've been unhappy with daddy basketball coaches, but I kept my mouth shut and told my daughter to work harder.

When I'm at games, I sit away from other parents.
I was a daddy coach for 13 years, but in soccer. Almost all of my parents over the 13 years were great. I only had problems with 2 that I remember and both were about playing time or how I used their child.

The first was recreational and in the younger ages I kept playing time equal by sticking to a planned rotation where everyone would play within 1-2 minutes of each other over a game. The only time I deviated was when there was an injury and someone had to fill in. Yet, I had a parent complain that their child was being shorted. Being the tech person I am, I had a spreadsheet where I kept track of playing time over the season and the parent didn't have much else to say when I showed her the data.

In the other case, it was a older, more competitive level and a parent who was new to the team thought I was not giving their child a chance to play to their strengths. She played but not where her parents wanted her to be playing all the time...in the "star" positions. In practice, their child was constantly getting beat by most of the team and just was not very good. I still played her a fair number of minutes (everyone played) but she wanted always play the same position as half of the team and it was not possible to accommodate everyone as much as they wanted.

I took a couple years away from one of the teams and the parents begged me to return because the parent that took over the coaching while I was out was anything but fair...it was all focused on his daughter and it wasn't even subtle. She was good, but in soccer 1 person can't carry a team.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 12, 2017 at 01:19pm.