View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 02:44pm
Esteemed Participant

It is a reality in the high school coaching world that parents have enormous influence on whether a coaching contract is renewed or not. And, unfortunately, many parents know the correct buzzwords to use and correct buttons to push to get the coach in trouble. As I have stated before, I moved to coaching two seasons ago...in my first season, I was accused by a parent of "bullying" their son because I made him run "lines" after practice. For being late. He was 10 minutes late and so ran 10 sets of lines. Just like other kids who were late. The parents accusation to the AD was that I shouldn't "single their son out in front of the team" since he was late because they were at a family event. Fortunately for me, the day he was late our practice was right after school and so there was no "family event".

It used to bug me when coaches would complain to supervisors/assignors and use all the right buzzwords...like "he isn't approachable" or he "won't communicate"...parents have learned the same thing and are using it against coaches when their little darling doesn't get the playing time he/she "deserves".

Last edited by rockyroad; Mon Apr 10, 2017 at 02:47pm.