The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

This won't get much sympathy - Coach Being Fired..for WHAT?!

Check this out...from Central Indiana...

Guys a good Coach...this has parents written all over it!

This school is taking a BEATING on the Dan Dakich show which air on local radio station here in Indy....

Change at the helm? Parents rally in support of Cougars coach
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 03:53pm
Official & Member

This isn't very surprising. This coach sounds like an old school, hard nose coach that would get tough with his players to try to elevate their games...kinda like Geno at UConn...with similar results! His methods probably don't play well in an affluent, lily-white suburban school (I don't know anything about this school district, I'm just guessing). My guess would be he pissed off the wrong parent...he was mean to their little flowers...or she didn't get enough playing time and feelings and self esteem were bruised. Get rid of him and bring in a coach who hands out participation trophies and orange slices at the end of the 3 and 17 season.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Apr 07, 2017 at 04:11pm.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 06:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

These guys don't recognize a dedicated coach. The first reason for firing him: "First, he didn’t wear enough Greenfield-Central apparel."

You gotta be kidding. If they said that to me, I would tell them I wear a jockstrap with the school logo on it and if they didn't believe me I would show them.
Old Sun Apr 09, 2017, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go For The Jugular ...

As a middle school basketball coach, try not starting the grandchild (who wants to start) of a town councilman. Even with the backing of the athletic director, you still can't fight city hall.

This "helicopter parent" (they hover over their children) thing is going too far. My son is a sociology professor at a top rated college and he tells me that he gets calls, and emails, all the time from parents complaining about their "children's" unfair grading, in a few cases, from the parents of graduate students.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 09, 2017 at 04:10pm.
Old Sun Apr 09, 2017, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This "helicopter parent" (they hover over their children) thing is going too far. My son is a sociology professor at a top rated college and he tells me that he gets calls, and emails, all the time from parents complaining about their "children's" unfair grading, in a few cases, from the parents of graduate students.

Millenials. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/NEsUudZvntE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 09, 2017, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is that this will be a classic case of "you don't know what you got, until its gone." They will suffer a streak of poor performing teams and all be ashamed of what they did to him. Problem is that the Super will have retired, the AD will have switched jobs, and several school board seats will have been vacated and refilled. The shame will simply disappear and a bunch of positive influence will simply be gone. Hey, sounds as if this might have happened around where I grew up.
Old Sun Apr 09, 2017, 10:01pm
AremRed

There is more to the story here, keep in mind that only information we have on why the coach was fired (the essential question) is from the coach himself, recounting what he was told in a meeting. Of course it would be in his best interest to relate the things that make the firing seem petty and keep the possibly more serious issues under wraps.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 06:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Grass Is Always Greener ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... the Super will have retired, the AD will have switched jobs ...
For administrators, and coaches, it's like musical chairs here in Connecticut. Superintendents, principals, and athletic directors, get a few years of experience, and then use that experience to move on to a better paying job a few towns away. Back in the olden days, when teachers didn't make a decent living wage, many coached to supplement their income, often coaching more than one sport. Now that teachers here in Connecticut are well paid, the days of a history teacher coaching baseball and basketball for many years are long gone. Many coaches aren't even teachers, with no ties to the school, or the town, that they coach in. They coach for a few years and then move on to a better coaching position.

I can't deny someone looking to make a better wage to support their family, but like I said, it's like musical chairs around here, and as an official, one never knows who one will see on the bench when they first walk into the gymnasium, or hand over paperwork to an athletic director that they've only just met for the first time.

"You can't tell the players without a scorecard." (Harry M. Stevens, 1900)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 10, 2017 at 04:13pm.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 02:44pm
Esteemed Participant

It is a reality in the high school coaching world that parents have enormous influence on whether a coaching contract is renewed or not. And, unfortunately, many parents know the correct buzzwords to use and correct buttons to push to get the coach in trouble. As I have stated before, I moved to coaching two seasons ago...in my first season, I was accused by a parent of "bullying" their son because I made him run "lines" after practice. For being late. He was 10 minutes late and so ran 10 sets of lines. Just like other kids who were late. The parents accusation to the AD was that I shouldn't "single their son out in front of the team" since he was late because they were at a family event. Fortunately for me, the day he was late our practice was right after school and so there was no "family event".

It used to bug me when coaches would complain to supervisors/assignors and use all the right buzzwords...like "he isn't approachable" or he "won't communicate"...parents have learned the same thing and are using it against coaches when their little darling doesn't get the playing time he/she "deserves".

Last edited by rockyroad; Mon Apr 10, 2017 at 02:47pm.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Take parents out of it and you have a nice thing in youth sports...
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 03:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Looks like the parents at Braintree HS have too many trees and not enough brains.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Updated article with the emails parents sent to the coach.

Here’s The INSANE Emails Out Of Control Braintree Parents Sent Coach Kelly McDonnell That Forced The 2 Time State Champion To Resign – Turtleboy
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
There is more to the story here, keep in mind that only information we have on why the coach was fired (the essential question) is from the coach himself, recounting what he was told in a meeting. Of course it would be in his best interest to relate the things that make the firing seem petty and keep the possibly more serious issues under wraps.
This is an epidemic. I bet most of us could mention a local coach who was fired because an administrator refused to stand up to a whiny parent or three.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of one-sided and non-credible information here.