Thread: DP mechanics
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut View Post
4-6-3 double play attempt. Who has primary responsibility for R1 potentially interfering at second base in two umpire system? Only runner is the one on first.

Side question. Fed rules. Runner on first. Ball hit to 2B who shovels ball to SS for force. SS throws ball to first. Throw is away but retired runner runs into SS's glove arm forcefully (not malicious). Throw doesn't get BR; it's bad. I realize this is a HTBT play but what factors might you use in your judgment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HTBT, eh? OK, let's walk through my thought process here.

1) The throw is away cleanly before contact and the runner did nothing to make the throw poor? No INT; a retired runner must interfere with the play being made in order to rule INT.
2) The retired runner remains on her feet and contacts the fielder non-maliciously? Still no INT.

This play probably looks bad, and in a close game, I'm probably going to have a conversation with the defensive coach to explain the no call. I'm also going to warn the runner. There is no room for initiating unneeded physical contact with another player in this game.