Thread: IP w/o Pitch
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 11:37am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The point of an IP is to not disadvantage the batter; that is why IP are DDB; allowing the batter to hit (or ...) the pitch. So, why kill a pitch prematurely?
NFHS Rule 5-1-1p says the ball becomes dead immediately when "an illegal pitch occurs, but no pitch is delivered to the batter." That would imply to me that certain IP violations are killed as soon as they happen. But I guess I'm wrong there.

And I realize that you don't care about the NCAA, but there is an approved ruling that has as its scenario a pitcher who licks her fingers after delivering Ball Four to the batter, and before the BR arrives at first base, she grabs the ball without wiping off. The ruling states that the umpire calls IP and makes the award of moving the BR to second, and adding a ball to the count on the next batter. There is no DDB to allow the next batter to get in the box and try to hit the pitch.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker