Thread: IP w/o Pitch
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 20, 2017, 08:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

IP w/o Pitch

Alright, I'm still having some difficulty with the wording in the rule books where it says if the pitcher commits an illegal pitch without the pitch being delivered, it's an immediate dead ball. The mixed interpretations I'm hearing are these:

1. If the pitcher commits the IP before she starts her delivery, kill it and announce the IP and penalty.

2. If the pitcher commits the IP you signal a DDB and wait until she aborts from pitching, then you kill it and announce the IP and penalty.

So, take for example, a pitcher who licks her fingers and then fails to wipe before she touches the ball while she's walking up to get on the plate. Those who advocate "1" above would say you kill play immediately, and then make the announcement/award. Those who believe "2" is correct will tell you to call the IP when it happens, but not kill it until it's clear the pitcher isn't going to pitch (e.g., she stops short of the plate and asks, "What did I do?")

What about this one: While the pitcher is off the plate, she gets a verbal signal from the coach, looks at her armband for the correct pitch selection, then steps on the plate and immediately puts her hands together without looking in for the signal from the catcher. Those who believe "1" is correct would have the PU immediately call Dead Ball, but "2" would say to not kill it until she steps back off the plate.

Personally, I'm with "1". I'm going to kill it immediately unless the IP happens during the actual pitch delivery (e.g., double-touch, start-stop-start, leap, crow-hop, violation of the 24 inches, etc.) Is that correct?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker